Friday, August 12, 2011

We have to KNOW Him

During one of our briefing times with Robert, we had a pretty interesting discussion. He was telling us about hope and kinda gave us biblical parameters for what that means; one hope is that Jesus really will come back one day and bring us to Him (either in the process of this body dying or when He returns and gathers all the faithful to Him.) and also the hope that Jesus is now and during His reign during His second coming, preparing the entire world for the return of the Father. That’s going to be awesome!


Someone asked the interesting question, of ‘if God felt sorrow or grief’. He kinda let us go around with answers then told us we needed to find support in scriptures, not just concepts. This was a bit harder. I felt pretty confident sighting 2Cor. 1:3-7:


“Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any troubles with the comfort we ourselves have received from God. For just as the sufferings of Christ low over into our lives, so also through Christ our comfort overflows.”


How could He comfort us with what He does not know? Also Jesus told us that the Holy Spirit would be our comforter and perfect helper. It seems like I, also along with the group was kinda missing the mark. I’ll admit that didn’t have a firm scripture to definitively show that the Lord will mourn or grieve with us, and can relate to us in every emotional state. I knew it was true, because I’ve met him there, but would that be enough to convince anyone else? Would it be enough to re-convince myself if I ever need to? There were days and weeks strung together were I felt mere inches away from completely losing my grip on sanity as I’m trying to convince myself of truths I know but have no evidence for when I have an over abundance of evidence for things I don’t agree with. I was “stuck” in John 6:68-69 right after many of those following Jesus get offended and left, He asks the 12 apostles if they were going to leave too “Simon Peter answered him, “Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life. We have come to believe and to know that you are the Holy One of God.”


Robert was really looking for stronger cases of God feeling sorrow and grief. He said any of the prophets would have worked, showing that He is “hurt” by loss or broken relationships with people. We’re so temporary, and inconstant it blows my mind that He is affected emotionally (not in His power or His glory) by our relationship. Not that He “needs” it or anything, but that it matters to Him if we choose to be in relationship with Him or not. He pointed out that most of us were bringing up pieces of sermons we’ve heard, but that in the time of need, either ours or when we’re trying to comfort someone else, that this wont be enough. “I think that…” or “I’ve heard that…” will not be enough to get us through when life hits the proverbial fan. I can attest to that as well. I know I didn’t want to hear a “good message” after my dad died. I needed to meet God, for myself, and be convinced of His character. I still do. Knowing Him and encountering Him in the Word, and His breath upon it to make it real to our hearts will be the only thing that will keep is strong through…life.


pb

No comments: