Thursday, August 18, 2011

Ephesians 3:17-19

This has been one of my favorite prayers in the Bible for a while, within my favorite book. The more I read, pray, and meditate on it in the prayer room, the more I like it.

Ephesians 3:14-19: " 14 For this reason I kneel before the Father, 15 from whom every family in heaven and on earth derives its name. 16 I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, 17 so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, 18 may have power, together with all the Lord’s holy people, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, 19 and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God. "

Paul is praying that we will know the extent of this love that surpasses knowledge. Firstly; I think it's awesome that it's written in the Bible, and since it's all God breathed, that means that it's God's prayer for us to know His love. (If you need to, you can go let this blow your mind and come finish this post later. It'll still be here.) Second; That means that no one has known Him that way, or even fully searched out His love. This isn't even mentioning His glory, power, knowledge or physical dimensions (Yes, the Father and Jesus both have physical bodies. Feel free to leave and come back if your cranium needs a break.) whihc are all massively unfathomable, but it's His love that is crucial for us to grasp at and know. No one has ever fully searched it out; not Moses who spoke to Him face to face as a friend, not David who was a man after His own heart, not Solomon, the most wise one, not john, who is declared but himself (albeit by himself, but the other disciples recognized it too) "the disciple whom Jesus loved" not even Enoch, who was so loved by God that he never tasted death. "Enoch walked faithfully with God; then he was no more, because God took him away." (Gen 5:24)

He loves me (and you) more then anyone has ever loved anyone. EVER! Husbands and wives, siblings, parents and children, best friends. He loves me more then all of those relationships, and He wants me to search it out. I suspect I'll never find the edges, even after eternity,but I'm excited to start walking!

No comments: