Thursday, July 28, 2011

Prayer at the imagination-station. aka. my mind.

I want to tell y’all about an experience I had while in the Prayer room yesterday. I was sitting in the prayer room and the team leading was singing “Strong Love” by Jon Thurlow, I really like this song, and yesterday God met me while I was singing it.


The bridge goes like this:

“Your love is so high,

Your love is so wide,

Your love is so deep,

Your love is so long.”


Because I enjoy worshiping the lord with my imagination, I was trying to picture it in my head to help me relate and worship. So I initially imagined myself in front of a huge wall that continued left and right as far as I could see. I feel like He brought correction to my thinking. If the wall is God’s love, then there isn’t and depth because I’m standing at the bottom of the wall already. I’m already at the bottom. So I imagined myself standing in front of a giant rainforest, at the very edge of it, but He reminded me, that though the trees are very tall, they all have a height that ends. So I pictured myself in a boat on very calm water, just like the painting I had done and sold earlier, It's posted here on my website in the illustration section.) but He again reminded me almost without words, that this image wouldn’t work either because in a boat I’m already sitting at the top of the water. So I imagined myself on the side of a mountain, surely now there is more mountain below, above and on either side of me relative to my position. He told me again that this image doesn’t work because mountains get smaller as you get closer to reaching the peak. At this point I’m a little frustrated, and I say “Well, God, I can’t see it, I can’t place myself in front of it.” And His response to me, very gently, He said to me “That’s because you’re already inside of it.” And He showed me, myself getting sucked into a massive orb-like blue thing. I became so filled with His joy, that I’m crying as I laugh so hard that no sound is actually coming out. Later that night my core group leader Robert referenced the same passage I’m sure Thurlow was thinking about when he wrote the song. Ephesians 3:14-19 says;


14 For this reason I kneel before the Father, 15 from whom every family in heaven and on earth derives its name. 16 I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, 17 so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, 18 may have power, together with all the Lord’s holy people, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, 19 and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.


Robert pointed out that Paul says he prays this for Christians, how often are we praying for ourselves, that we would be empowered to know and comprehend that which surpasses knowledge. Maybe if we did, we’d be a lot more excited about the subject of His love. …excuse me, I need to go pray.


pb

No comments: