Saturday, January 12, 2013

Even if I only have two.

Like probably most of you, January gets me thinking about changing things.  It's a good time for a fresh start.  How should I eat differently? How should I use my money differently? How can I make this year better than the last one?  That brings me to thinking about stewardship, because untimely nothing that I have or am is really mine.  The Lord is the Creator and source of everything and we only continue to exist because He wants us to.

John 1:3 "All things were made through him [Jesus], and without him was not any thing made that was made."

Hebrews 1:3 "He [Jesus] is the radiance of the glory of God and the exact imprint of his nature, and he upholds the universe by the word of his power."

(How "convenient" is it that these two verses have the same chapter and verse number? Maybe we're supposed to make that connection.  I dunno, just a thought.)

So I've been thinking about one of Jesus' parables in Matthew 25 about the servants who were given varying amounts of money by there master and were expected to use it wisely.  The servant who receive 5 talents of gold initially was able to double it to 10, and the servant who received 2 initially doubled it as well to 4, while the servant who only received one talent hid it away until his master returned. The servant who received the 2 talents wasn't ashamed to deliver his work to his master.  He worked with all that he had and ended up getting the same increase as the servant who had 5 at the beginning.  He was faithful with what he had and saw a good return for his master's money.  He was not ashamed because he did not increase by 5 like the other servant had, he also did not get boastful and falsely secure because he had more that the servant who only got the one.  

I too should not compare myself with other people, for what I do or do not have, only be faithful with the resources (whether they be financial, relational, those of skill or time) He's given me for His glory.  I can only be faithful with what He's given to me.  I know I've heard similar messages before, even taught them myself, hopefully this "sticks" in a new and real way for me.

No comments: