Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Song of Solomon 8:6-7 “Set me as a seal upon your heart, as a seal upon your arm, for love is strong as death, jealousy is fierce as the grave. Its flashes are flashes of fire, the very flame of the LORD. Many waters cannot quench love, neither can floods drown it.”


This is one of the pieces I made for my final project in my Song of Solomon class.  The Song of Solomon is an allegory, a symbolic narrative to tell a greater truth, of how the Lord relates to the Church, but also the individual believer.  I’ll share with you some of my thoughts as I meditated on these verses as well:


Song of Solomon 8:6-7 “Set me as a seal upon your heart, as a seal upon your arm, for love is strong as death, jealousy is fierce as the grave. Its flashes are flashes of fire, the very flame of the Lord. Many waters cannot quench love, neither can floods drown it.”
            At various times, I’ve thought both the Lover and alternatively the Beloved were speaking this verse, declaring their determination to continue in love.  Joshua made a similar statement in his closing address to the nation of Israel; But as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD.” Joshua 24:15.  She has decided now, even before the cold winds of testing come, she’s set her heart to remain in love.  I think it’s interesting that “jealousy” could be referring to the Lover’s dedication to her, but the Lord also identifies Himself as embodied jealousy several times throughout the scriptures: Exodus 20:4-6, Exodus 34:14, Deuteronomy 4:24, Hebrews 12:29, and Psalm 27:4 because He is not emotionally distant from those He loves.  I also see this reality as similar to an iceberg, the majority of it exists under the water, where it is hidden from view.   When tests and trials come in life, and our “yes” feels so weak, those are the times when deeper foundations are being laid in love.  Even when we are not fully convinced of our love for the Lord, He sees it perfectly and celebrates it extravagantly.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You know that makes alot of sense far from anything as far as any image can go as far as my body can go as far as the blessing that is layed upon my home god is real you can look back at the reflection in your life and say thank you because youve had patience with me if i were judging myself i would've probably thrown myself out my God your love is all