Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Song of Solomon 4:16 “Awake, O north wind, and come, O south wind! Blow upon my garden, let its spices flow.”

This is one of the pieces I made for my final project in my Song of Solomon class.  The Song of Solomon is an allegory, a symbolic narrative to tell a greater truth, of how the Lord relates to the Church, but also the individual believer.  I’ll share with you some of my thoughts as I meditated on these verses as well:


Song of Solomon 4:16 “Awake, O north wind, and come, O south wind! Blow upon my garden, let its spices flow.”
            This verse is similar to the desire to catch all of the little foxes, it’s the desire of “Whatever it takes, just let me love you more.”  She has become less concerned with her own identity, and more interested in pursuing her Lover/Jesus.  In this we must die to ourselves and live for Him.  The fragrant incense from the garden of her heart rises up, obscuring her old identity as she finds her new identity in Christ. Paul was having the same revelation when he wrote Philippians 1:21 “For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain.” and also Galatians 2:19-20 “For through the law I died to the law, so that I might live to God. I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.The north winds describes times of trial and testing.  By now, the Beloved truly trusts her lover's leadership, just as we can the Lord's leadership in ours.  She is able to acknowledge that even when it's uncomfortable, His leadership will produce more love in her heart.  The south winds refer to times of ease and refreshing.  It's the food-good warm fuzzies we feel when we are enjoying the Lord enjoying us.

No comments: